Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Drought

I've heard a lot of rumors about the drought in Douglas County.  I drove past Dog River on Hwy 166 today.  What I saw looked vastly different from the river I saw last year.  There is a large portion of river that is now riverbank--and yes, there was some water, but not a lot.  Definitely not enough for the entire county.

Which makes me wonder--why weren't we, as a county, better prepared for a drought?  Why didn't the county enact a total water ban sooner if they knew we didn't have much water left?  Why didn't the county, ahead of time, build more water towers?  And regarding the water towers we do have, is there any water in any of them?  I know there is one near Food Depot on Hwy 5 and one near Greystone Power on Hwy 78.  I don't know of any others.  Also, why are they (as far as I know) still allowing businesses like power-washing businesses and car washes to use water?  I know of one reason--money.  These businesses are doing a booming business right now, and that means tax dollars for the county.

You might be asking what you can do to conserve water.  It's simple, really.  Don't take baths.  Take showers instead.  You use less water taking a shower than you do a bath.  Don't run the water when you're brushing your teeth.  Only run the dishwasher when you have a full load of dishes, and likewise for your clothes washer.  If you boil an egg, use the water you boiled an egg in to water an indoor plant.

Anyone have any other tips for conserving water?

No comments:

Post a Comment