Thursday, December 20, 2007

Cindy Chaffin, 59

Cindy Chaffin, 59, dedicated clerk of Superior, State courts


The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 12/20/07 Entering public service was like joining the family business for Douglas County native Cindy Chaffin.

Her late father, J. Tom Worthan, served as the mayor of Douglasville. Her brother Tom Worthan chairs the Douglas County Board of Commissioners.












Family photo


(ENLARGE)


Cindy Worthan Chaffin was known for being as careful with people's feelings as she was with the public money she spent to keep the courts updated and efficient.

"Local politics, law enforcement, fire protection, you name it — her whole family has been involved with it here in Douglas County," said her husband of 26 years, Tommy Chaffin, of Winston.

Mrs. Chaffin lived her whole life in Douglas County and grew up in the shadows of its courthouse, where she would ultimately serve as Clerk of Superior and State courts. It was a role she took on with unshakable integrity, said her son Luke Chaffin of Winston.

"Everyone knew that she was a Worthan, and I think she was trying to keep up a good family image," he said.

"And she believed in doing everything you do to the best of your ability. She was a Christian, and one of the things we're supposed to do is not slack off."

Cindy Worthan Chaffin, 59, died of brain cancer Tuesday at her Winston residence. The funeral is 11 a.m. Thursday at First United Methodist Church of Douglasville. Whitley-Garner at Rosehaven Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.

Mrs. Chaffin graduated from Douglas County High School in 1966 and began her career in public service in the 1970s, when she signed on as a temporary employee in the tax office. She was hired full time in the Clerk of the Superior Court office, served as calendar clerk for Superior Court Judge David Emerson and was supervising a staff of 35 employees by the time she became Clerk of Superior and State Courts.

"She had a huge job as the clerk of two courts," said Judge Emerson of Douglasville. "But she made her job look easy, the way she just took care of things."

As Superior Court clerk, he said, Mrs. Chaffin handled all the real estate deeds for booming Douglas County and was quick to embrace any new technology that would make the courthouse more efficient, as long as it was money wisely spent.

"A lot of politicians think of public office as a big, old pot of gold and spend anything they want to," her husband said. "But she always spent public money in the proper way, as if it were her own."

Mrs. Chaffin was as careful with people as she was with finances.

"People right off the street would come into that big courthouse and be a little fearful and maybe need to ask some menial question," her husband said. "But she would take that question and treat it as if it were a big deal. ... She didn't just sit up in some corner office and hide from the public. She made sure she was on the front lines."

She was happiest at home with her extended family nearby. She grew herbs in her garden, cooked traditional Southern food and baked homemade lasagna every Christmas Day.

"She was just a good old hometown country girl, but she's going to leave a big hole in our hearts," her husband said. "I've been blessed. Lord have mercy, I've been blessed."

Survivors other than her husband and son include two daughters, Michelle Dennis and Monica Rainwater, both of Winston; a stepson, John T. Chaffin of Atlanta; two sisters, Syble W. Clower and Ginny W. Bailey, both of Douglasville; two brothers, Tom Worthan of Lithia Springs and Bill Worthan of Douglasville; and four grandchildren.

2 comments:

  1. DEAR CINDY IT HAS BEEN A YEAR NOW SINCE YOU LEFT I DIDNT GET TO SAY WHAT I WANT TO SO HERE IT GOES I LOVE YOU! YOU HAD A HEART WARMING SMILE THE DAY I SAW YOU LAYING THERE I DIDNT WANT TO CRY NOW I SAY THAT WHY? WHY DID I NOT TELL YOU WHAT I WANT BECAUSE I AM SHY WELL IF YOU ARE SITTING HERE WITH ME I WANT TO SAY I LOVE YOU I HAVE MISSED YOU EVERY MIN. SINCE YOU LEFT I WILL NEVER FORGET YOU!

    LOVE, YOUR GREAT NIECE sERA

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sweet Mama! I love you so much! I miss you more and more everyday! You would be so proud of Addy and Gray. They are growing into precious, well-rounded little people. Mama, thank you for all of your encouragement and true loving spirit that you blessed me and so manu others with. I am trying to find my "new normal" without you here. One day, by the Grace of God, I will find peace again. It is now Spring...I took the kids to your house yesterday so that they could see all of your colorful flowers that you and Daddy worked so diligently on year after year. Oh how you loved your flowers...Addy is just like her Gamey. I miss you Mama. I'll see you again!

    Monie

    ReplyDelete